Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My name is Preston, and I'm a potty-mouth...

Lately Preston's favorite words have been of the "naughty" variety, and we're getting pretty fed up with it.  I'm not talking the 4-letter words that the parents of teens would worry about the the 3-letter variety that toddlers seem to love.  Here's an example:

Me: "Preston, what would you like for lunch?"
Preston: "Pee!" followed by giggles, of course.

These words have found their way into every situation you can think of; even sacrament meeting.  (Yes, we are the main entertaining attraction of our ward.  Certain families like sitting by us because it's so amusing).

He even changes songs.  Example:
Preston: "Twinkle, twinkle, little bum!"  giggles again.  

Cereal has gone from 'Frosted mini-wheats' to 'Frosted mini-poops'.  You get the idea.  No more examples needed.

We started out reprimanding him, but this only seemed to make it worse.  Like most kids, Preston thrives on attention.  We are currently trying to ignore the behavior.  We'll see how it goes.  We've talked about using soap or cayenne pepper, but we'd really like to save these punishments for the 4-letter words when they make their inevitable appearance.   Any parents out there have any bright ideas? 

6 comments:

Melanie said...

The only thing I've ever heard that sort of works is telling them to save bathroom words for the bathroom. That way it's at least OK for them to say sometimes and they can get it out of their system. Only thing is, when my nephews were on this system, they LOVED being in the bathroom and they would just go in there and say "pee, poop, bum ... hehehe" all the time. I guess you have to decide if that's something you can handle! Good luck!

Julie Hemmert said...

As Mason is not speaking yet, I really don't have much advise. I will probably be asking you in a year or two!!

Tyler Tucker said...

I think it was really funny, but then again he is not my son, yet is so cute that it makes me laugh. I will repent and laugh at him anymore. He is still so funny though. You forgot to mention that he loves the word " Naked", how in the world did that one come up?

Heidi said...

Maybe he should learn the pottymouth song from "Son's of Provo"!
Just tell him that isn't acceptable behavior and that he can have it when he calls it the right name.

Grandma H =

Anonymous said...

I always told my kids to go and stand in the bathroom if they were using potty language..they get bored quickly. With Ry going into jr. high I wish I only had to worry about pee and poop :-) Of course, they have all learned it from me so I can't get too mad!

Hollie said...

it was good to here from you! This story cracks me up, because here I am 32 and I still have the problem of thinking words like poo and pee are funny! My dad always says not to sweat the small stuff, and I think I'd probably not stress it too much unless it turns into the 4 letter naughty words! :) Good luck trying to keep him from making scenes in church, all my kids are very good at that.