Friday, April 18, 2008

Embarrassing parent moment



Last night we had a double whammy of humiliation.  Allow me to set the scene.  We were just leaving Tepanyaki after celebrating Wynn's 65th birthday.  Jared was ahead with Preston and I was holding Chandler's hand walking out to the car.  I look out to the door and about to walk in is a disabled person on crutches who was noticeable shorter than average.  As I see this person, I pray that silent prayer that mothers always do, "Please don't let my child say anything.  And if they do, please let it be quiet enough that no one hears."  Admit it, you've been there!  My prayers were not answered as I wanted this time.  Chandler immediately sees the man, and says very loudly, "Mom, look at that little man!"  I squeeze his hand, hoping he understands what that means.  He doesn't!  Again, because I ignored him, he says, "Mom, look at that little man!"  By this time we are walking as fast as I can drag him out the doors.  I give him the talk about how it would hurt that man's feelings if he heard him say that, etc., etc.  When we get outside, Jared looks like I feel.  Oh no, not the other kid too.  Apparently, Preston saw the guy and said, "Look Dad!  A dog!"  Jared tried to shush him and say, "No Preston, it's a guy."  Preston then said, "Oh, Dad, look it's a guy-dog!  It's a guy-dog!"  And as two-year olds tend to do, he kept repeating it over and over.  Of course he also said it very loudly.  So there we were mortified!  I'm sure the guy, unfortunately, has heard things before, but we still felt awful.  I guess we'll have to reinforce the concepts of whispering, quiet and tact some other time.


6 comments:

Megan said...

Oh, Jaime, that is painfully hilarious. If Ben is anything like his dad, we will have many similar experiences.

Melanie said...

Oh, how embarrassing! Did the guy look like he noticed? At least he probably didn't know that both kids who said something belonged to the same family since you were separate.

Amy, Spencer, and Kids said...

Oh my Gosh! I hate that! Why do they have to be so darn honest at times that that?
Amy

Macy said...

Jaime- this cracked me up!! I have totally been there. And no matter how many times you try to teach your kids, a new situation always comes up that you weren't prepared for!

Shea said...

Jaime! I found your blog from Erin Robert's. It's been sooo long since I've seen you. You have such a cute family. It sounds like you're doing well. Blogs are such a fun way to reconnect with old friends and catch up. Our blog is daveandshea.blogspot.com. Glad I found you :)

Maggie, Drue, Salem, Sutton, & Xander said...

Your boys are so adorable...despite all the honest comments. 'Guy-dog'...toooo funny!