Monday, December 3, 2007

Calgon, take me away!

Yesterday, we had stake conference. We were lucky enough to have Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf, of the Twelve apostles come speak to us. Since we have 2 young boys, we decided to watch the meeting from the overflow building (they have a carpetted gym floor--aka less disruptive). We ended up sitting toward the back of the gym. We quickly went through the Spiderman fruit snacks, and Preston was restless. Jared and I had agreed that one of us would take him the first hour and the other the second hour, so that we could both get something out of the meeting. I spent the first hour, in a room off to the side of the building. I could still hear the speakers, but Preston could climb on chairs and tables and (hopefully) extinguish some of his energy. When it was my turn to go back into the meeting, I was to be with Chandler. He was starting to get pretty restless himself. A Two-hour sacrament meeting is pretty rough on most children, I think. There was just the 2 visiting general authorities to speak, so I told him just 2 more talks and then we could go home. What I failed to mention was that these 2 talks would take another hour. For the next hour I was bombarded with "I want to go home," "Mom, this is the longest talk in the whole, wide world," "This talk is a zillion minutes," and "Can I please go out with Dad?" All of these, of course, were uttered loudly enough for the entire gym to hear. There were also uttered from a nearly five year old sprawled out on the floor under the chairs. I have seen kids at church quietly looking at books or coloring, so I know it is possible for kids to behave during these meetings. Somehow no matter what I do, mine seem to be the most disruptive in any congregation we find ourselves. Don't get me wrong, I love that they are both energetic and active kids, but not during this hour of the week. Am I just noticing my kids more than any others or are mine really this bad? I guess I'll just chalk it up to "This, too, shall pass." and "You'll miss this stage when they are grown." :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen the kids that sit quietly in church and I always think what boring kids :-)Really, I am just jealous beause we have been doing the noisy church thing for 12 years now..but I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel!! Congrats on even making it to conference ;-)

Julie Hemmert said...

Oh what joys await me!!! I will try for the quiet boy reading a book but based on their father, I think I am doomed.

Amy, Spencer and Kids said...

Oh your family is cute and growing up fast. I am glad I found your blog. I hope to stay in touch.
Love-Amy
http://the4frickets.blogspot.com/